The potential for conflict is all around us. It can sometimes feel like we are bombarded with “bad” behavior. As a leader of any sort, we have to find a way through that to come out on the other side. This week Kristine Scott and I talk about how to navigate the waters of conflict in empowering ways.
Some of my favorite take-aways include:
- Many of us frame conflict as “this is where people get hurt” and that leads us to respond in fear-based ways.
- To deal with conflict, we need to:
- Ask ourselves, “What do I need to have happen in this conversation that will also strengthen the relationship?
- Identify where we can compromise and what’s non-negotiable.
- Be kind to ourselves first. We can’t give kindness to others without giving it to ourselves first.
- Kristin describes self-care as places and activities where you learn about yourself AND it renews you.
- The #1 thing we can do to de-escalate a situation is to extend empathy.
- For most of us, our “threat assessors” are busted and this is why we get triggered so easily.
- We need to stop being what Kristine calls, “A raw nerve of reactivity.”
Connect with Kristine:
Mentioned in the episode:
Stalling for Time: My Life as an FBI Hostage Negotiator: goodreads.com/en/book/show/41017722
The Energy of Money: A Spiritual Guide to Financial and Personal Fulfillment: goodreads.com/en/book/show/81109