Contact Sarah Corkery
Mentioned in this Episode
When Bad Things Happen to Good People - https://www.amazon.com/dp/1400034728?tag=duckduckgo-ffab-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1
Place to Play Park - https://www.yourplacetoplay.org/
Harper’s Playground, Portland, Oregon - https://www.harpersplayground.org/
Inclusion Connection - https://inclusionconnectionorg.weebly.com/
Can Do Cancer - https://candocancer.org/
Metastatic Breast Cancer Access to Care Act - https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/116/s1374
Cody Goldberg TEDxPortland Talk- “Changing the world one playground at a time” - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bXUfYqScIE
Pete Buttigieg - https://www.wintheera.com/
Chemo Tote - https://www.chemotote.com/
Ring Theory: How Not to Say the Wrong Thing
Takeaways from Bobbi Kahler's Interview with Sarah Corkery
1. There are different ways to make a difference. Sometimes you can make a difference one-on-one and sometimes you can make a difference by reaching many. It doesn't matter which one you pick, because both are needed.
2. Even if someone tells you no 15 times, don't be afraid to ask the 16th time. They might just change their answer.
3. You can not be afraid to reach out and ask for what you need.
4. Know what to say no to. If it doesn't give you energy, it's probably a sign that you should move on. I think this is a big one for a lot of us. We have to be intentional with what we say no to so that we can also be intentional with what we say yes to.
5. Her formula for persistence. Surround yourself with people who support you. Ask yourself, is there really another option? Do I really want to quit? And then choose your attitude towards what is happening.
6. If you are trying to organize a nonprofit or some sort of effort, here are her four keys.
- One, reach out to someone else who has already done what you're trying to do and learn from them.
- Two, know your strengths. What are you good at? What gives you energy? What can you contribute? What do you want to contribute?
- Three, know what your gaps are and find someone who shares your passion who can fill those gaps. That is great advice.
- And four, do it one step at a time, ask yourself what is one thing that I can do today? And then do that.