My guest today is someone who has been passionate about helping people transform their trauma into positive change and empowerment. Ben Biddick is a veteran who served in the military as a medic following the 9/11 tragedy, and he also has worked for many years serving as a first responder and hostage negotiator. Ben co-authored the book, Get Up: The Art of Perseverance, which is an inspiring story about turning painful experiences into powerful moments. Ben is also the host of the Get Up Nation podcast, where he helps individuals, organizations, and societies to develop and sustain resilience and perseverance. In today’s episode, we talk about building resilience, overcoming mental health challenges, self-care, building trust, and more.
Serving People – The way Ben defines success is quite different from many of us. His purpose in life revolves around serving and helping other people. Ben shares with us how his unique ambition led him to be in military service as a medic and also other roles that serve humanity.
Ben’s Book – We dive deep into what’s focused in the book Ben co-authored with former major league baseball payer Adam Greenberg; Get Up: The Art of Perseverance.
Mental Health Challenges – Ben has seen and helped many people who struggle with mental health and life challenges that ultimately lead to mental health issues. He shares with us what we can do to genuinely help our loved ones survive their struggles and maintain their mental health.
Judgment & Trust – The ability to be vulnerable without being judged is one of the main things our loved ones need in challenging times. Ben talks about how we can build trust with our loved ones so they can open up.
Resilience – Ben shares his perspective on resilience, how it works differently in each of us based on our life experiences, and how we can better develop and sustain resilience.
Thriving Through Traumatic Events – Traumatic events that shake us to our core may come unexpectedly. Ben talks about things we can do to overcome the impact of traumatic experiences and thrive. Treating Yourself Well – Being kind to yourself is as essential as being kind to others. We talk about ways to implement self-care in our lives and how it can improve our quality of life.
Contact Ben Biddick
Ben’s Podcast: Get Up Nation:
Mentioned in the Episode
Get Up: The Art of Perseverance
I hope that you loved Ben’s passion as much as I did! Here are my 3 insights for thriving:
- The past is over; we are here now; so what’s next? We don’t forget the past, but life happens in the present. Questions to ask ourselves might be: What did we learn? What do we want now? What are we doing to live now?
- To help others cultivate resilience, Ben shared some steps we can take:
- Acknowledge they are doing the best they can right now –
- Show concern
- Be empathetic
- Listen without judgement; Power and importance of listening without judgement
- At a point, we can help them harvest the gifts from adversity – what we learned; strength gained from challenging experience
- Exploring the power of choice;
- Self care – rest, healthy food, time for yourself, etc. – you need to make sure that your cup is full, which is part of thriving. When we care for ourselves we have an infectious energy, our relationships are better. And, remember to be kind to ourselves.
Thanks so much for tuning into UnYielded: Thriving No Matter what where we are committed to sharing ideas and stories that help us all live our lives, our way.