Kristin Smedley had the perfect life with a great job, wonderful home, nice car, and then children. But just a few months into motherhood, a doctor explained that her baby boy was blind. She believed in that moment that all the dreams she had for him and for the family were gone. Listen to her story of bouncing back from a “sucker punch,” as she calls it, and leading her kids to live inspiring lives without limits.
Contact Kristin Smedley
Mary Fran Bontempo (Kristin’s partner on Brilliantly Resilient) – https://maryfranbontempo.com/
Kristin’s Tedx Talk – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rdar-vklzeE&feature=youtu.be
Thriving Blind on Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/thrivingblind
Brilliantly Resilient http://brilliantlyresilient.net/
Kristin’s book, Thriving Blind: Stories of Real People Succeeding without Sight
The 15-Minute Master: How to Make Everything Better 15 Minutes at a Time by Mary Fran Bontempo
David Fajgenbaum, – https://chasingmycure.com/
Bobbi’s Takeaways from the Interview
- When we face a sucker punch, our first reaction doesn’t have to be our final reaction.
- Our perceptions don’t change in an instant; we have to continue to challenge them. To me, this means that we have the form the habit of doing this so that it can become automatic.
- When stuck in fear instead of hiding from it or trying to avoid it, turn to learning your way through it.
- The power of role models that you can bring into your life to create a mindset of limitless possibilities.
- That when we help others through their period of darkness, doubt or uncertainty, we are also helping ourselves as well, which to me is all about the power of serving others.
- That re-setting your mindset is NOT a 1-time event where we get to spike the football and be done! It is a habit that we have to cultivate.
- If you can’t find the silver lining in your challenge – then create one.
These are just my take-aways. Please share your take-aways in the comments below so we can compare notes.
If you found this episode helpful, please subscribe to the UnYielded podcast and leave a review. If you know someone who could benefit from the message that we are spreading, please tell them about UnYielded: Thriving No Matter What.